Vision and Mission
The Fiona Wood Foundation has a vision of delivering scarless healing, in mind and body, to all those affected by burn injury - in order to improve quality of life and ensure the outcome from burn injury is worth the pain of survival.
The Fiona Wood Foundation is an independent not-for-profit organisation which exists to reduce the devastation caused by the physical, psychological and social impacts of burn injury.
We exist for current and future patients with the knowledge that every intervention from the point of injury influences the scar worn for life.
We provide the vision and direction for the Centre of Excellence in Burns Research, encompassing the Burn Injury Research Unit at UWA and the Burns Service of WA. We facilitate interdisciplinary scientific and clinical study into the links between the systemic (body's response) to burn injury and patient outcomes.
Through our unique relationship with the Burns Service of WA we actively translate our research into innovative technologies, techniques and interventions that will drive evidence based 'best practice' in clinical care, for adults and children, in WA and beyond.
We will achieve our vision by bringing together the best scientists, researchers and clinicians to
Improve understanding of burns and their impact
- unravel the science behind wound healing and scarring and the impact of burns on all organs and systems of the body
- understand what determines individual differences in response to burn injury
- collaborate with experts in related fields to maximise the impact of our work
Develop new technologies and treatments to
- improve physical outcomes
- reduce the pain
- speed up wound healing
- improve functional outcomes
- reduce and prevent scarring
- drive 'best' practice
Improve mental health outcomes
- reduce stress, anxiety and other psychological issues
- minimise risk of social isolation and loss of independence
Educate the community
- educate the community about burn prevention
- educate the community about the benefits of good burns first aid
- improve pre-hospital care
- collaborate with organisations to disseminate/translate our research and educate the community
The Fiona Wood Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation and relies on the support of the community to fund its research.